This free checking account has no monthly fees and requires no minimum balance.
To open a Checking Account, click "Open an Account Now" or download an application to fax or mail in. Be sure to indicate whether you want a debit card. Your PIN is randomly selected and will be mailed to you separate from the card.
E-mail the application as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to us at 908-245-0680.
- No minimum balance or monthly service fees
- Free Visa® debit card
- Free Online Banking and Bill Pay
- Free Mobile Banking with account balance, transfer and Remote Deposit features
- Free E-Statements
- Free account alerts
- Free 3 month trial of Benefits Plus®, our discount and savings program for air travel, hotels, restaurants, department stores and more
- Automatic Courtesy Pay coverage to cover NSF checks (dollar limit based on Member Merits level)
- Free automatic overdraft from available funds in savings to cover checks. See Reg D limitations.
- For added protection, add an Overdraft Line of Credit
- Call the Credit Union to place your first check order. For subsequent orders, you can reorder checks here.
Opt in to Courtesy Pay. now so you'll have continuous protection.
Our Courtesy Pay program is a benefit for all Members with checking accounts (with additional benefits for Premier and Enhanced Members).
Please note: Courtesy Pay may only be added to an account after 90 days if the account has been "active" (ex. Direct Deposit, debit card transactions, ACH, etc.)
Courtesy Pay helps you avoid the embarrassment and inconvenience of unnecessary merchant fees when an item is returned for insufficient funds.
If you opt in, besides paying your checks and pre-authorized debits, Courtesy Pay will also cover debit card purchases and ATM withdrawals when your account has insufficient funds. If you do not opt in, we decline ATM and debit card transactions when you do not have enough money in your account to cover them.
The opt in rule does not apply to Courtesy Pay coverage on checks or automatic bill payments that you have set up to pay your mortgage, rent or utilities. We automatically provide overdraft services for these types of transactions. If you do not want overdraft services in these instances, please call the Credit Union.
Courtesy Pay is only accessed after all other account sources are exhausted, i.e. transfer from available funds in Savings or Overdraft Line-of-Credit.
Premier Members are covered to $750 by Courtesy Pay. Enhanced members receive up to $500 in coverage and Value Members get $300. All allowable limits include Courtesy Pay fees.
You have 15 calendar days from the date each covered transaction is posted to your account to repay the transaction amount and Courtesy Pay fee. Failure to repay by day 16 will result in a late fee.
See the Frequently Asked Questions about Courtesy Pay.
Direct Deposit & Payroll Deduction
Payroll, Social Security, pension, stock dividends and expense reimbursements are all eligible for direct deposit.
You will need:
- AFCU Routing number 221276370
- Your AFCU account number
- Specify where you want the funds deposited (Savings, Checking, etc.)